Friday, June 17, 2011

Alright ... I knew I couldn't wait til the weekend!

Just like typical me ... I stayed up waaaay too late last night and finished Imaginary Jesus.  That may make for a pretty long Friday.  Going on four hours of sleep right now, so don't hold that against me.  But caffiene can be your friend in just these sorts of instances.

Pete punched Jesus in the face.

Great way to start the book in Chapter Zero.  No don't pull out your Peacenik Jesus and shame me for this.  Pete (The Apostle Peter) is here to save Matt's world.  But in order to do that, Matt must do away with his own imaginary Jesuses.  You know what I'm talking about ... the Jesuses that we make up that support our views on anything from animal rights to feminism to sin to free will.  This book really struck me.  I related to it well, maybe TOO well.  I can see myself as Matt.  The real world all around us, and us surrounded by our own Jesuses, personified and real (in our eyes).  We all have them, whether we are Christians or not.  Even atheists have their own Atheist Jesus.

This book is wrought with humor and a main character who is sarcastic beyond belief (which I can relate to as well).  Then there is Pete, who is really trying to get it through Matt's thick skull that the Jesuses that he had imagined are not real.  I loved Daisy, the talking donkey.  I even shared a few of her lines with the share feature on my Kindle onto my Facebook page.  I called her the Genius Donkey, because everything that she said was so true (at least for me) that it was obvious that her IQ just has to be 180 at a minimum.  Then there was Sandy the former prostitute.  She really impacted Matt in a positive way, and introduced him to the Atheist Bible Study group.  Which is funny if you think about it, but it shouldn't be.  Shane is the leader of this group, and he end up enlightening Matt the most during his quest to rid himself of his Imaginary Jesuses.

In the end Matt realizes that life isn't about making sure you have all your Jesuses lined up to take on any problem that you may have, but it's about realizing that there is only ONE real Jesus and He is talking to us ... alot.  If only we could learn to listen.

I loved this book and HIGHLY recommend that you head over to Matt Mikalatos' blog to learn more about him and his upcoming book entitled "Night of the Living Dead Christian".  I can't wait for it this fall.

The Burning Hearts Revolution - Matt's Blog

And one more thing ... LONG LIVE HOUDINI DOG!!!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment