Friday, July 15, 2011

Call of the Herald - Pre-Review Problem

So I'm again in a quandary.  I have just been offered a lent copy of Bryan Liftin's The Gift.  Which is the second in the Chiveis Trilogy.  I totally loved the first novel The Sword as you can see from my prior review.

http://nextonmykindle.blogspot.com/2011/06/sword-by-bryan-liftin.html

I am just about done with Call of the Herald, which has been slow at times, but I can definitely see myself finishing the series.  It is about a girl and her becoming the Herald of Istra.  The book has been well written and I anticipate the others to be that way as well.

Here is my plan ... I am 80% complete with Call of the Herald and the loan offer is available for 7 days from today.  I'm going to do my best to finish COTH over the weekend and download the loaned The Gift on Monday.  Sound like a good plan?  Here is the catch ... my wife is 100% pregnant and could give birth to our second daughter any day now ... that MAY throw a little wrench in the works.  I think I can make it to still read even though we'll have another little one in the house.

UPDATED 8/16/11 - Call of the Herald Complete!!!

I was able to complete Call of the Herald and loved it so much that I dove right into the second story.  Catrin Volker is just your normal farm girl, who struggles with the rich brats in the town.  She and her cousin Chase and her friend Osbourne mut endure abuse and torture daily.  Until ... one day Catrin is faced with a life or death situation.  Life wins ... at least HER life wins.  She protects those that she loves on numerous occasions, and is accused of being a witch with amazing powers.

She fights her way through this book with the help of those who have sworn to protect her.  Her cousin Chase, her friends Osbourne and Strom and her father's friend Benjin.  There are struggles and problems, and Brian Rathbone weaves a thread that develops over time.  The characters grow and it is quite enjoyable.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment